ArcWorlde Ogre Trooper - Showcase

Last week I shared my Deathwatch Blackstar, something that to me was more of a battle of attrition than actual fun. To counter this, I built and painted one of the models I picked up at Vapnartak a couple of weeks ago - the Albionnican Ogre Trooper from Warploque Miniatures.

Alex Huntley hand sculpts all of the miniatures for Warploque and in doing so gives them their signature character, particularly the faces. After painting a mostly flat panelled plane for a month or so, it was a delight to be able to work on something with odd angles and folds.

This particular chap is fairly large - he's standing on a 50mm base - and would set people back £12 for the resin model.






I didn't really want to have straight up silver metallics for the armour but didn't want to add any rust or wear either, with him being a soldier in service of the Albionnican Empire, the main human faction in ArcWorlde, so I decided to play with the Scale Color Alchemy paints, adding Amethyst Alchemy into the recessed and lower portions of the silver, while I added some Emerald and Cobalt to the mixes on the raised sections. This is my first real play with adding them to other metallics rather than using them on their own and while it'll probably take me a while to get used to it, I can seen the potential in using them, perhaps for light and shade or reflections.





The red with silver is the studio colour scheme for the Albionnicans and one that I quite like - it's quite regal without being overly gaudy - I kept the gold trim to a minimum. I started with P3 Sanguine Base before moving to mid tones of Scale Color Mayhem Red and highlights of SC Berehit Red and Tiamat Orange (those three SC colours are from the Creatures from Hell box)


As I said above, the faces that Alex gifts these miniatures with are full of character - plenty of canvas for creating large amounts of depth and contrast. I didn't want to highlight it too high, so instead took the shadows down to SC Sunset Purple over the Sanguine Base initial layer before moving back up with a couple of GW skin tones I've completely forgotten the name of. The hand on show allows for similar levels of shading and also has some finger nails to pick out, which I did with some GW Pallid Wych Flesh.





He was based simply with a couple of pieces of large gravel and a mix of S75 Rough Paste and Vallejo Sandy Paste and painted to match my other ArcWorlde bases.

Off the back of the slog that was the Blackstar, this guy flew by, getting finished in a few days. I think the size of him helped - there are details there, but he's a big enough model (at maybe the same size as a 54mm scale human) that they aren't obscured and so tiny as to require multiple attempts to get them right. The size of him also opened up the opportunity to try the different metalwork as there was more space to transition and move from dark to colour to light.

For a fairly speedy paint job I'm quite happy with how he came out and I'm looking forward to tackling more of the larger ArcWorlde monsters in the future.


Post a Comment