On The Desk - Launcelot Part 4 - All about that Base


This week I'm going to talk through creating the base for Launcelot.

I actually made the base for Launcelot before I started the painting but decided to write about the painting first.

For the base I knew I wanted to have a simple street base with some nice brickwork. I've had a bag of bricks from Secret Weapon for years but never found the occasion to make something out of them. I looked up lots of pictures of interesting brickwork to get some inspiration before beginning. I used a knife to help carve the bricks up (carefully as they shatter pretty easily) and superglue to place them. 


Then I used a simple herringbone pattern for the rest of the base. I made sure I had all the full bricks down before I started filling the gaps with cut bricks.


Et voila, all bricks down!


And then we take quite a jump to the finished base, ahem. Really not as much work as it looks. I used some milliput to add grout to the brickwork, The wall itself is from my bitsbox, I have no idea where it's from originally, something Games Workshop! To this I added some clockwork bits that I bought from ebay many years ago thinking they might be good for basing. Their time has come! They add some technology to the base and reflect the feel of the miniature well.

Post a Comment