Phoenix Guard Part 2 : Painting the head

Good progress this week I think, let's take a look!



I'm so pleased to have finally got started with the brush on this guy and am very happy with the direction so far. I started out by placing my highlights on the helmet and giving the skin a rough coat..

 I like to work out where my highlights go early on, so I don't forget later ;) I also blocked in the gold parts early as I find it helps me to see what i'm painting a bit better..
 Starting to take shape now and i've placed the highlights on the gold too just as a reminder..
 Still working the contrast here, adding some specular reflections and trying to smooth out the blending with some glazes.

 Now bringing the highlights up on the gold parts and trying to paint his face a bit better. I really struggled with the face, it's so hidden by the helmet that not only is it hard to paint but the features are slightly distorted. Still, I think it's the best I can do, he seems very angry indeed!

 Continuing with the gold, still in need of some smoothing glazes on the back side..
 And we're done for now! Very happy with this for the time being, I'll come back and paint the gem when i've figured out which colour it needs to be!


Onwards and upwards!

I've maybe foolishly signed up for Golden Demon Europe, so i'll need to get motoring, but it's great to have a goal to aim at after a good while of not really having one!

See you next week, when I'll be getting some paint on the base.

Post a Comment