Paint your Board Games - WWE Superstar Showdown




"And he kicks him in the stomach, then grabs him by the throat. He raises him high in the air, aaaand... CHOKESLAM! Big Show is the winner!"

I'm not ashamed to say it, but I like wrestling. This game was going cheap at my local game shop (by cheap, he sold it to me for cost just to get rid of it.) I was originally going to do an unboxing to appease my mick-taking friends. However they gave me a better idea, and that was to paint the models instead. So here goes - Hit my entrance music!

It's not often I'll paint the figures from a board game. Usually its because I'll lose momentum part way through because something shinier has grabbed my attention. 

As far as game pieces go, they're not bad. They are approximately 35mm scale. The only problem I have with the scale is that none of the characters seem to scale up to each other, when compared to their real-life counterpart.  That aside they aren't bad. The plastic is a little soft, but the primer adhered to the plastic perfectly. There's enough detail on the models to really make them pop once you put a wash/shade/ink on them.

The six competitors are (in order on the box from left to right):
Daniel Bryan, Roman Reigns, John Cena, Big Show, Randy Orton and Big E.

Lets have a look at the competitors...
First up is Daniel Bryan and John Cena. These have to be the best two models as far as painting goes. There's enough variation on the models to warrant using more than three or four colours. I used a new paint today: Model Colour Lime Green. It's such a nice bright colour, but I doubt I'll use it for anything else other than computer screens.


Bryan vs Cena in the "Who's dating the hotter Bella Twin" match.

Next we have Roman Reigns and the Big Show. The Big show was fun to paint as his costume can be created in a variety of ways. I went for a custom version. The Roman Reigns model is pretty much black and flesh. Still, it's good if you wanted to practice highlighting black. This model was highlighted with Rakarth Flesh and then given a was of Nuln Oil.


Reigns vs Big Show in the "Who wears black better?" match.

Lastly there is Randy Orton and Big E. Sadly Orton doesn't wear much other than black, so I had to work our a way to make it stand out. The real Orton has tattoos down both arms, but as replicating these would be nigh on impossible, I mixed a really dark, transparent green and dabbed it onto the arms and across the back. Big E has a rather stunned pose, but I wanted to paint him nice and bright, in a version of the New Day attire.


Orton vs Big E in the "Two wrestlers who need a fight" match.

The Verdict.
So there you have it. 6 models for a 6 player game (well 2-6.) As you can see they're fairly detailed and were nice and easy to paint. I would like to dedicate this blog to my friends Jon Stynes, Andrew Naisbitt and John Hedley. Without them, and their taking the 'P', I would never have painted these models.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure who I'd go for in the last match there, but Roman takes No 2 and Cena probably edges the first one ;)

    ReplyDelete