Q and A with Ernesto part 2.

Image result for Q and A

We Continue our Q and A with Ernesto Reyes Stalhuth

What do you feel you need to improve and why?

Yellow color because is a pain in the ass, eyes cause I feel that I need to add more detail, assembly cause take too much time and always have mistakes, sculpting cause I need to learn more, ground works cause I need to learn stuff like to do water and dioramas. 

Do you or have you ever felt like a Noob with Just his paint brush?

I always feel like a noob when I saw works of my favorite painters.

What three things would you have stranded on an Island?

a cold beer, Jenni Greeg (search in google) and crystal water.

Is there a Color which you seem to favor and like to add it to all your models where you can? 

Yes, Violet, I use it for everything, skin, leathers, metals, clothes, etc.

Can you pass on one trick or technique or tip that you think newer painters would find helpful or a technique that you wish someone had shown you when you were a new painter?

Not a technique but an advice, be patience, don't feel frustrated, always ask to someone who knows more than you, be open to critics (also bad critics), show your work to the world and practice until your hand start to bleed.

What does your work space look like? 




My work place always looks very organize but when I have a lot of stuff to do the chaos begins. 

Wet pallet or ceramic/plastic? 

I use wet pallet and also plastic pallet 

What paints do you use?

Acrylics all the time, but sometimes oils for metallics cause I mix oils with printer inks

What do you use to thin your paints and to what ratio?

Not using a particular measure but I guess 2-3 drops of paint + 2 drops of water for each mix.

What technique do you tend to favor when painting to Blend?

I don't blend using acrylics, I blend when I use oils, for acrylics I use transparency layers.

Miniature painting can be very expensive and that could put off some new to the hobby have you learnt any tricks over the years to save money on things?

Find materials in my country is impossible, so I have to use the internet to buy them, my trick is to try to save money to at least buy a good quality brushes, some nice acrylic paints and at least a good quality figure, don't try to start to paint with cheap bad quality figures, I don't recommend that.

And finally is there anything you like like pass on to the noobs who are reading this hoping one day to paint as well as yourself?

Yes, be patience all the time, enjoy what are you doing, learn from the best, always use reference (pictures of good figures and illustrators), try to copy from your favorite painters and after that evolve to your own style and be happy.

10th Tennessee Flag Bearer, Irish Brigade, ACW

Sergeant , 44th Foot , Gandamack

Officer, Light Company, 1st Foot Guards

Hungarian Infantry Reginemt Erzherog Ferdinand 1762

Prussian Hussar 1870

We would like to thank Ernesto for taking the time to answer our questions.


Post a Comment