Under The Red Hood - Batman Gang Complete

With a week until the Phoenix Lakeland Wargames show at Rheged, I've finally finished up my Batman crew to take to the BMG Participation/Demo table. The last model that needed painting was Jason Todd, the Red Hood.

This is the Arkham Knight Red Hood variant (not to be confused with the Arkham Knight, which is also Jason Todd). In game terms, he's a Batman Free Agent that costs 88 Rep and due to his twin pistols, $500, which is the entire $ Budget in a 200 Rep gang.


I split him into 4 main sections - The blue black, the white, the red and them the remaining greys and blacks. 

The blue black was achieved using a variant of my favourite non-black black scheme - S75 Necro Grey, Rlyeh Grey, Innsmouth Blue (all from the Shades of Doom set) and Arctic Blue, which is from the NMM Steel set and is S75's equivalent to Fenrisian/Space Wolf Grey.

The White started out using the Necro Grey and Rlyeh Grey mix as well, but instead of adding blues I added Miskatonic Grey, which is a kind of warm grey tinted cream shade. Final highlights were added using Purity White.





The iconic red of the hoody and face mask started out as Tindalos Red, again from the Shades of Doom box before shades from the Creatures From Hell set - Mayhem Red and a tiny amount of Baal Crimson were added as highlights. While the mask is a reflective surface, I wanted to keep the highlights fairly toned down to try and stick with the darker nature of this version from the game, as opposed to the comic version of the character who is in a metallic suit. I followed this up with the guns, adding only a small amount of highlight to them, instead leaving them a slightly more stealthy matt black.




The boots and leg plates were again started from Necro Grey, but instead of going for the colder Rlyeh Grey, I opted for more tones from the NMM Steel set, choosing Anthracite Grey and Graphite, but again kept the highlight shine to a minimum.


I may go back and revisit one or two places on him - the sigil on his chest I think might need a little more in the way of a highlight, but I'm really pleased with how he turned out already, and at a fairly speedy pace as well. 

Earlier I said that the gang was complete, so here they are!




There is a real difference in quality (if I do say so myself) between the lady cop, who was painted up in August last year and the three who have been finished in the last 6 weeks or so, even when I've been putting speed in ahead of precision at times. 

In between painting Jason I also painted up a loot objective marker. I might be taking a fully painted gang to use, but I still have a few more objectives and lamp posts that need paint on them to call them done, which isn't going to happen between now and next week so I'm going to live with it. Baby steps and all that :) 



17 comments: