On The Desk - Mean and Green Part 5 - Building the Base

As always when I start getting towards the final 20% of a project I start losing focus and thinking about other things, it's a really bad habit of mine. In order to at least channel this into something constructive I decided to start working on a base for the Archon. 

I didn't really have any good ideas. I browsed through my old Dark Eldar Codices for inspiration but nothing really jumped out at me. I left it for a few days and then suddenly I just had the urge to make a staircase, inspired by those floating stairs like the one below



I grabbed some plasticard (sadly I only have really thick card at the moment which is really hard to cut with the tools I have!) and just began cutting some shapes. The idea was that it would look like a consistent curve when viewed from above. I created a piece for the stairs to rest on, again no plan as such, just made it up as I went along.


Here it is glued together, not a bad start but it needs more. 


I posted this to a few friends and someone suggested some red carpet down the stairs. I then turned this into 'let's make a throne!' So I made a throne. Just a basic shape (echoing the stairs) out of sculpey. The shield came from the Kingdom Death set, I was just browsing through my collection for anything that might work.


Once I'd baked the sculpey I used milliput to smooth things out (my original 'sculpt' being terribly uneven) I decided I need to incorporate the shield into the throne more so using milliput I elaborated on the pattern already there and just spread it into the throne more.


And here she is. I added some trim to the steps just to try and make it look a little less...basic I guess.









1 comment: