Halfling Spearmen from ArcWorlde - Showcase

A little while back, I started up my second randomly generated project - Halfling Spearmen from Warploque Miniatures that I picked up way back in their first Kickstarter. I had intended to do various progress blogs about them, like Part 1, available here, but in the month since posting that update, I've been distracted by painting up Batman and a cop and unboxing Fallen Frontiers and a Pin Up cat lady. So instead of a Part 2, I have 4 finished Halfling Spearmen!


It's quite a different experience for me to actually finish something that could actually be called a unit all at once - I've been finishing single figures one at a time for the past 18 months or so. It was my intention to try and keep my style of painting the same on them but just put them out quicker, perhaps by sacrificing smoother layers in places creating a slightly rougher look.


In part I was successful, as I was able to cut out a few layers, particularly on the faces as I switched out my usual palette of 6-8 Scale Color flesh tones and shaders with some Vallejo Basic Flesh and a couple of P3 flesh tones and Sanguine Base.

I'm also really happy with how the split purple and green scheme has come out now the minis are finished. There are a lot of neutral colours on them so the purple really pops but is kept in check by the green that helps balance it out.


The bases were kept fairly simple, seeing has how they're just grunts, but hopefully the tactical rocks and a first use of the Army Painter grass tuft set I picked up a while back will blend them in when more of the ArcWorlde forces I have get painted up. 



With these guys done, it's time to hunt down my next random project.

On the main table I moved down 9 from ArcWorlde, landing on Other, where lots of my solo pieces live.


I've got a fair few companies in the others section, but because I recently finished up Keysha, I started counting down from Purgatory which led to hitting JoeK Minis as my next selection.






There are 7 models in my JoeK collection, so starting from the top I went down the 4 the randomiser told me to go, hitting Atalanta.








She's primed and ready to go, though here's where I'm adding a twist. I enjoyed working my Halflings, but I also enjoy working on solo pieces, such as working on Keysha while I worked on the Halflings. So with that in mind, now that I've selected a single mini as my random project, I've also selected a small unit to paint up at the same time as her, and next time I get drawn a unit, I'll pick out a single mini to go with them. In this case, I've got some Hexwraiths built and awaiting primer, which should offer something completely different to Atalanta.


Post a Comment