On The Desk - Mean and Green Part 1




So here is my second project on the go! This one is a little contest amongst a painting community I'm part of. The theme is simple, mean and green. Interpret it how you want. No restrictions on scale or basing. I (like most painters) have a substantial box of shame of unpainted miniatures. I spent a while hunting through them looking for inspiration, I heavily considered a goblin but ended up going for the old GW Dark Eldar Archon model. I bought this many moons ago and never got round to paint it. It's failcast so it took me an hour or so to clean it up but it's still one of the least screwed up failcast models I've had!

I left off the blade arm to give me easier access to the chest. I also used a hair dryer to bend the back banner/ribbon thing to flow in the same direction as the cloak. It's a small thing but I think it aids the image of the miniature. I primed black with a dusting of white as I usually do. I decided to start with the competition's namesake and work on the green armour. I knew I wanted a green towards the blue/cold end of the spectrum. I started with GW Kabalite Green and added a little Caliban Green to darken it slightly.


I started to shade the armour with the same mix with black added, glazing towards the shadows.


Here is a wonderfully out of focus shot showing the highlights starting, I took the base mix and added GW Celestra Grey, which is a quite cold grey with a hint of blue. I wanted to try mixing with non white this time.


I then decided that I wanted the shadows to be blue, I glazed some watered down GW Drakenhoff Nightshade in until I got the effect that I wanted. Again this is a slightly blurry photo I'm afraid! Also a back shot which shows the helm and the back vane (and also the windswept banner thing that I talked about before)



Post a Comment