Unboxing the Massive Voodoo Insta-Bases from Secret Weapon




 As you may know Merkeysa is currently doing an interview with Roman 'Jarhead' Lappat of Massive Voodoo (If you haven't read Part 1, check it out here!) I've said many times that I've been a fan of the blog for a long time so I thought I'd do an unboxing article for their recently released Insta-Bases!

In collaboration with Secret Weapon, Roman and Raffaele Picca have sculpted a series of four resin base tops which can either be used as bases in their own right or placed on top of plinths for display miniatures. They measure 40mm by 40mm and the shot below shows the different styles available (Both this picture and the title picture are taken straight from the Massive Voodoo blog article and show painted examples by the MV team).

The great thing about them (other than the superb sculpts and quality) is that you can either use them 'as is' or add more detail and customize them to your own desires. There is already an article on Massive Voodoo showing how you could change them (link)

I purchased two of them at launch, here they are below without any preparation. As you can see minimal flash present and no bubbles or any quality issues at all.


First up we have a nice ruined temple style base with part of a pillar on the side and some heavily worn steps. There's plenty of options for positioning a miniature, whether on the flat area at the top or even on his way down (or up!) the steps.


Secondly a more modern style ruined base, lots of debris and girders.


Next up I grabbed a spare 40mm plinth I had to see how they fit. There is some sanding to be done to get a smooth fit, but once done you'll be left with a neat finish as you can see in the painted examples above.


I build most of my bases myself these days but I still think these are great quality and I can't wait to find the right miniature to match them.

The bases are available from Secret Weapon in the US (who you may know from their series of washes or pigments that I'm a big fan of!) I'm not aware of a UK or Europe distributor for the bases at the moment but I've ordered several times from the US store without problems. Check them out here (link) at $5 each they're very reasonably priced.   

4 comments:

  1. That temple base is *crying* for an Odyssey figure on it...

    Just sayin' is all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    nice review. Thank you.
    But the real reason for my answer is an other.
    You write that you are a big fan of the secret weapon washes and so i want to ask you for some tips. I like the different and unusual colours of the washes very much but every time i used them they were really shiny after they dried up. But i want them to be dull, not shiny. Sometimes i take them right out of the dripper and sometimes i thin them with water but the result is always the same => shiny colours. Do you have some tips for me to avoid the shine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately they do have a quite shiny finish, which can be good but if you're going for matt you have a couple of options. You could try using a matt varnish over them after (either a brush on if you want to target just that area or a spray for the whole mini)

      The other option is to use something different when you want a matt finish, glazing for example.

      Delete