On The Desk - Saim-Hann Wraithguard Part 2



 Last time On The Desk we started off a new project, painting an Eldar Wraithguard. Check out part 1 here where I talk about creating a rich red with contrasting cooler shadows, and considering the global lighting situation of the model when placing them.

Let's talk about swords. I didn't really have a firm idea of what I wanted to do with the swords when I started the project, a number of different options were running through my head, plain silver, a contrasting colour like green or a colour NMM effect like a power sword. I decided to go with silver and some colour glazes to make it look a little 'alien'. Silvers are from the S75 range, Heavy and Speed metal.


Then things go craaaaazy, I used some watered down GW Naggaroth Night and glazed towards the area I wanted the colour to be strongest. This wasn't really a consideration of lighting, just a visual effect I wanted. I also glazed some of the purple into the gold metals to tie it together. The sword needs to be tidied up a little still.


Now comes an aspect that is very important when it comes to painting Eldar...gemstones. In case you haven't noticed, Eldar are covered with them! Especially the wraith units. I intended to leave most of the model's gems red as part of the armour, I kind of feel that painting them all can kind of make them look like a Christmas tree. I was convinced after some discussion with some fellow enthusiasts to give it a shot though. I decided to paint the gems on the back vane but in the end just went with it and did them all.

There are 78 gems on this Wraithguard.

Ouch.

Oh well, nothing good comes without work. Starting with the back vane, I decided to do purple gems to tie in with the swords. I started off basing the gems with a very dark black/purple mix. I want the gems to be quite subtle so they'll be fairly dark. From then it's just a case of glazing in progressively lighter shades of purple (first by adding more purple then white) along smaller sections of the gem away from the global light (as the lighter areas represent the light coming out of the gem) I also used some watered down Inktense Violet ink from Scale 75 to blend the highlights together. The final step is putting a small white reflex light on the opposite side, which I haven't done yet in these shots.

And because I'm crazy I then did the rest of them, I decided to do these ones a dark green, it's a complimentary colour for red so it's a good choice. I have to be a little cautious about introducing too many colours to the model but again they'll be quite dark. Once again based in a dark black/green mix (I actually used GW Kabalite Green which is quite a col, blue-y green) Same as the purple gems I just worked it lighter and lighter by adding first more Kabalite green then eventually white to the mix for the final layers. A glaze of Inktense Green finished it. Again I haven't done the reflex light spots yet.

I still have a couple more gems to do (the ones on the sword, tabard and helm) but at this point I was gemmed out! After that I need to neaten up the sword and tabard and consider if I want any freehands/transfers anywhere. Then I need to think about a base!

Look out for Part 3 coming soon, let me know what you think in the comments (I'd be particularly interested to know what people think about the painting every/some/no gems on Eldar models!)













Post a Comment