War Hog WIP Part 1

Hi guys, for my first post let’s take a look at how my planned entry for Smogcon 2016 is getting along!

I spent a considerable amount of time working on the composition and preparing the miniature, these Restic models from PrivateerPress are a bit of a pain like that, in that it’s not easy to sand/scrape the material without it flaking away, causing a poor finish.



Eventually I think the composition is right, but I’m a long way behind schedule!

That is one angry pig thing.

 I really enjoy painting NMM metals (you may have noticed!), so though I should probably have started on the skin first, I only did some basic colours on the skin before getting onto the first NMM weapon. I find that a good way for me to get keyed into a miniature is to paint the part I enjoy early, so that I become more motivated to be finishing the miniature:



Shiny, shiny weapons.


Last year my entry for Smogcon was slightly criticised for being too similar all over, lacking in variation. Partly this was a deliberate choice with the colours, but this year I’ve decided to really try and push the contrast between smooth NMM metals and textures cloth/skin. As part of this I started working some texture into the skin and tabard:

You'd be angry too if you were stuck in a pair of corks..

Trying to make the skin look unhealthy

Wow, that's a lot of work still to do!

Much more work to do but he’s on his way! Will I finish in time, that’s the question!

Anyone else painting for Smogcon 2016, either the P3 competition or for gaming?

2 comments:

  1. Great first entry!

    Not a figure I'm familiar with but that NMM is great, particularly the bronze/copper.

    ReplyDelete