Death by Purgatory - Single Figure Category Winner

As some of you may know, the guys at Purgatory ran a competition to celebrate the release of their first miniature, Death. After picking up one initially then being given one at the Wamp Workshop, I thought it would be a bit silly not to enter. I managed to get her in a couple of days before the deadline (30th September) for my second comp entry of the year (after the Arkham City Limits contest in March) and I found out yesterday that she won her category!


My first thought with her was that she would have a purple/lavender cardigan. Not sure where that came from or (at the time) if it would work, but that's what I wanted.




I started out working from the base upwards as I was waiting on the Shades of Death set to turn up as I thought it had a nice purple in it. Turns out that it wasn't a purple as shown in all pictures of the set on the internet, but actually a deep grey, which scuppered plans slightly. 




I hadn't really been sure what tone I was going to paint the skirt and top until I'd painted the flesh and had a little coal black still sat on my palette. A few washes of that gave the base tone for the skirt and in turn led to the choice of a mid tone blue for the top.



The metals caused me a little trouble as I didn't get the silver dark enough on first try. I think I managed on the second attempt, but didn't manage to get the same depth in tone as I did have on them. Thankfully the (hopefully fairly restrained) splattering of blood on the blades distracts from that.





She's the first model I've finished since attending the Wamp Workshop and picking up techniques I used all across the model, so I can comfortably say she wouldn't look anything like this if I hadn't attended. 

There was two categories in the contest, with the second being Diorama. Here's Normski's awesome winner!




2 comments:

  1. A award winning Noob!! Great work and well done!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers guys!

    Great confidence boost, now to find the time to sit down and get some painting done to add to it.

    ReplyDelete