Anybody Paint Wood???





This may be something that you might not think about, but it does seem to crop up from time to time on a miniature be it a sword handle or a gun butt and if you are into making a scenic base, then a plank of wood here and there will more than likely to crop up and as a miniature painter it is our job to be able to paint anything that any other painter would but in a different form Ie our minis.

So painting real wood was something that I wanted to do and Wow it is again something that you would not have thought so much goes into it and here it is.

Here is what we did in the lesson

These are the examples.

And you may look at this and go seems simple enough, well mine did not go well at all I was having a bad brush day or I forgot everything because this is what I done.


You may be wondering what the lines are about, they are to add the lines on to the wood in random places and they are practicing strokes for getting thin strokes in a swiping motion also hard if you have never tried hence the lines. 

As you can see this was something that needed more work. So had another go at it. 


Ok, it was not very good, but I did do something that was not meant to happen, but did give me an idea and that was the Ink spot and how that could be used for knots in wood 

Image result for wood knot

So I tried on the next go with some more Ink to make it more on purpose.


Ok, I will be fair and say the Idea was a good one, but it did not turn out the way it should but when does it on the first go.


The next go seemed to work better after I diluted the Ink.


And here are my final ones I done. It is hard to apply the Ink in a round dot sometimes as you can see on the smaller ones, but all in all it seemed to get better each go what do you all think.




  

4 comments:

  1. This is an excellent way to practice. As misterjustin always says in his seminars...we are 2D painting on 3D models. At first I thought this was an article about painting "on" wood, and was a bit confused :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the Confussion I do tend to use fair fech titles but if this is the first one that has confussed then I am doing very well. Also it is a confussing one as well is it more of painting a wood effect than painting wood? Also I agree Miniature painting as we do is the same only we dont have to draw what we want to paint its there on our "canvis" ie the mini.

      Delete
  2. Nice effects! You can also do aged wood by basing and shading all in greys and apply a few very uneven very diluted brown or green/brown washes :) Though you need more texture for that easy cheat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for the comments and also the tip will have to remember that one.

      Delete