Q and A with Brett Johnson Part 2



Today we have the second half of the Q and A with Brett Johnson if you missed the first part it can be found Here.

Do you suffer paintbrush envy meaning is there a painter out there who you wish you could paint as well as?

Oh yes, tons, and I have had the pleasure of meeting (and drinking!) and sometimes even painting with plenty of them. I have also had the privilege to hold a few Slayer Sword winners and the like in my hands and they can blow your mind. Marike Reimer, Darren Latham and Ben Komets are all superb painters, for historical stuff David Powell is superb, but I think the painter, I most love is Sebastian Archer, his use of colour is great and he can sculpt as well.

What do you feel you need to improve and why?

Lots, but I would say blending at the moment, I have only been trying it around a year so I am still a novice. Why do I want to improve? Well I think it’s important to always push yourself and self-critique. I am my own worst critic! If I haven’t made at least one mistake on a mini then I haven’t pushed myself enough on it.

Do you or have you ever felt like a Noob with Just his paint brush?

Yes, and not just as a beginner, no matter how much you improve there  are always folks who paint stuff that makes you feel like giving up and crying!!

What three things would you have stranded on an Island?

The Lord of The Rings Trilogy, Bear Grylls and marmite

Is there a Color which you seem to favor and like to add it to all your models where you can? 

There’s three actually, can I have three?  Turquoise, Space Wolves Grey and a purple wash. I use those three on most models I do

Can you pass on one trick or technique that you think newer painters would find helpful or a technique that you wish someone had shown you when you were a new painter?

Always towards the area you want the most paint, so shading end the stroke in the recess. Highlighting stroke towards the lightest.


What does your work space look like? 

Well I am stuck in the garage but its pretty organised on the whole, paint shelves, tools neatly arranged and lots of bit boxes







What Technigue do you tend to favor when painting to Blend?

Two Brush blending

ceramic or wet pallet?

Wet Palette

And finally is there anything you like like pass on to the noobs who are reading this hoping one day to paint as good as yourself?

Have fun and make mistakes. I always try and use a new technique or one I am poor at on each model I do, It's only by practicing you improve and once you nail it you feel EPIC!

Work by Brett









We would like to thank Brett for taking the time to talk to us.

Post a Comment